LDI – Lighting Design International – I have been absent from this show for 2 years and I have returned! My observations are the show, although still great for lighting, AV, tech and designers in the theatrical marketplace it lacked a real whose who in the show world (at least on the trade show floor)!
At the Parnelli Awards….
Lifetime Achievement Award: Ed Wannebo
Audio Innovator Award: Kenton Forsythe
Parnelli Visionary Award: Jim Fackert
I was not invited to any of the large-scale parties that used to happen. I believe that they just were not happening as opposed to ME not being invited!
The Trends I saw on the floor included:
• Software – the manipulation and doubling and quadrupling of things, if you get what I mean!
• Control – controllable LED – Lighting designers and tech need to control the WHOLE room – not just the stage
• DMX vs. Ethernet Protocol
• Standard Theatrical Lights being replaced by LED fixtures – LED better and brighter
• Moving lights working in tight synergy
• LED Screens – different quality – and price points – modular, flexible, etc
• Lighted costumes (control is a trend)
• Curved Truss and Truss used in creative ways
New product off the LDI 2011 Orlando floor:
• Wirefree LED – batter op / remote control / dmx
• Pipe and base 2.0
• New developments in software – enabling Ethernet protocol (who?)
• New Developments in Lasers, Fog and Water effects
• Falling water as a projection surface (controllable and brandable)
• Fabric as a lighting and projection surface
• LED – screens all types and price points
• “Green” energy supply advances (battery powered / solar charged)
All and all a great show, although I was surprised that there was not a lot of projection and mapping. InfoComm – another Tech and Lighting show is in June and from what I hear it IS where the projections and mappers are! I hope to see you there!